Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

As We Are.

I've been trying really hard to see people as they are.
 Not as they appear.
Not as they sound.
Not as they want to be seen.
Not as what they try to be,
but as they truly are.

 It's a bit difficult.

There are a lot of distractions from seeing the soul.
Looks tend to dominate what we as humans think we are.
I see so many advertisements promising prettier faces & fitter bodies.
I'm so exhausted of it...
Is there not more to a person than his/her vessel?


Our bodies make up 0% of who we are.
Who we truly are is everything we can't see.
It's what we have to learn about each other.
We have to feel it.

For instance,
I could tell you my friend Alexis has a gorgeous head of brunette curls that I wish I had of my own... but that wouldn't tell you much about her. However, if I told you when I had an evening of nerves ahead of me, she sent me the sweetest, funniest, and most encouraging text of my life. She thought of me, knowing I was a bit of an anxious mess and told me just what I needed to hear, inside jokes and all.

That tells you more about her being than her hair ever could.

 I could tell you I went on a date with a guy who has the most perfect pair of brown eyes, Oh Karinne, you're such a girl... but you wouldn't know much about his character from that fact. Yet, if I told you on our date it was freezing outside, like I couldn't feel my hands or toes kind-of-freezing. We were in a play when the a/c decided to go on... I was a popsicle. Can you tell I do well in cold... Just after a minute or so of the cold air blowing on us, my date took his jacket and draped it over my legs, didn't ask & didn't hesitate.

That my friends, tells you more about his soul than his eyes ever would.

I could tell you my dad is in his 50s. That wouldn't give you a whole lot of info about his being. But if I told you he doesn't go to sleep until I'm home safe every night, even at one in the morning, when he's exhausted,

that would tell you more about his heart than his age ever could.

 As I've looked for people's selflessness, kindness, thoughtfulness, and compassion, I've come to find the most beautiful people.


Let's not be distracted by what's appealing to our eyes, but what's appealing to our hearts & souls.

Happy Sunday to you & yours, my dears.

No comments:

Post a Comment