Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Is that you??

I got an ad in the mail from Kohl's and saw that Jennifer Lopez now has a clothing line. I got to thinking, why are people more enticed to buy clothes just because a celebrity designed/wore it?


I remember back in high school I took a fashion class. I had to look through magazines for an assignment to find specific styles of clothing. In a magazine for teens I remember coming across something like this:

The magazine showed exactly where to buy these items and how much they cost. If we can't come up with jeans, flip flops, and a hoodie on our own, I don't have much hope for the world!

I find our society's obsession with celebrities kind of fascinating. Mostly I just don't understand it and am surprised at what people do with influence from a celeb. Lindsay Lohan wore this $575 dress to a court appearance. It immediately sold out. Why? I have my theories. .


A) It was a cute dress.
B) People think they'll become a celebrity if they look like one.
C) People don't know who they are, so they copy people who they feel they know.

It seems to me there are a lot of people out there who don't know, deep down, who they are. They just go through the motions of life and don't stop to think or make self discoveries. So they try to be other people because they can't be themselves. You can't be someone you don't know. Wearing a dress Lindsay Lohan wore won't make you feel good about yourself. If you're wearing it strictly because she did, you aren't being yourself at all, and how would that make yourself happy?

The next time you're out shopping, and you see something you like, don't think, 'who designed this?' or 'would a Kardashian wear it?' Wear what looks like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment