Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

young. old. just words.

I fell in love with this:

I can't help but notice all the negativity associated with being 'old'. So many women have a  hard time simply stating their age: The number of years they've been on the earth. I find it a funny thing. I've never understood why it's so hard to say, "I'm 40". Maybe when I'm there I'll understand.

As I've gotten older, I've noticed changes in my appearance. If I compare myself now to pictures of me five years ago, I see differences; My skin isn't as great as it was, I'm not as thin as I was, etc.

But, when I compare my mind and heart to where they were five years ago, the difference is tremendous. It'd be impossible to write down everything I've learned and every way I've grown in the past 4 years or so: I'm so much braver, I have a far better sense of who I am, I've learned what love is- not just in a romantic way- in every way, I've learned what's important in life and what's not, I've learned who I want to be now and in the future, and I could go on and on. . .

My point is wrinkles and weight gain means wisdom. I wouldn't trade what I've learned in the past few years to always look 17. If knowledge, experience, and wisdom means finer lines on my face and gray hair, count me in.

My grandma Ash talks of how she knows she's old, but she feels so young. That's what matters: How you feel. Isn't that what we're taught from the moment we can understand it? "It's what's on the inside that counts." I guess somewhere along the way we forget that. Let's try to remember: "It's what's on the inside that counts".

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I look at my not so thin belly and say I would not have my sweet Owen if I didn't have this pretty belly!

    ReplyDelete