Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Labels

Lately I've noticed how much labeling myself can give the wrong impression. . .  

I could say I'm a vegetarian, but when most people hear that they think, "Oh great, she's going to tell me how awful I am for eating this burger. . . better keep away from her." When really, I just don't like meat. I think it's gross. If you feel good eating that burger, you go for it. I won't say a word about it, or think anything of it.

I could say I'm LDS, but when most people hear that they think, "Oh great, she's going to try and convert me, better keep away from her. I don't want to hear it." When really, the religion I'm apart of helps me be a better human being. That's why I'm involved in it. It gets me thinking and helps me improve myself. It works for me, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I could say I'm single, but when I do, I get sympathy looks and, "I'm trying to think of someone I can set you up with. . . " When really, I am content with my relationship status. I am happy without being labeled as 'so-and-so's girlfriend'. I date, but I don't want to get involved with someone just for the sake of not being single.

We tend to only hear the loudest people in labeled groups; loud vegetarians make sure everyone knows they don't eat meat, and try to guilt people into joining them. Loud LDS people can be pushy and insensitive. And loud single girls can be bitter and desperate to have a boyfriend.

Here's my point: Get to know the individual. Learn their story. Learn why they choose to live the way they do. Just because I'm a vegetarian, LDS, and single doesn't mean I agree with or feel the same as every vegetarian, LDS person, and single lady.

I don't believe in telling people how to live. As human beings, clearly we're not all the same, so wouldn't it make sense that different things bring us happiness and contentment? So why do we try to push our beliefs and way of thinking onto other people? If we truly believe in what we say we do, we don't need to shout about the happiness it brings, people can see it by the way we live.

We all find happiness and contentment in different ways. What brings me joy may not bring you the same feeling, and that's just fine. We're all on our own journeys to find what brings us the most joy. Let's not tell people that their way of happiness is wrong.

Happy Sunday <3

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love this so much...especially your point about how we only ever hear the loudest sub-set of a group of people. I hate this for a few reasons: 1) It makes being LDS in an area where there aren't that many LDS people much harder and 2) Like you said, most of the time what the loud people think does not apply to me.
    Thank you for the insights. And for being so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! It's frustrating huh? I'm so glad you understand. You're awesome woman! :)

      Delete