Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy Bday Dal!

Dal is now 25 years old! My how we've all grown up so fast! I still feel like we all shouldn't be older than 17. . . Sheesh. It seems like a week ago I was writing his birthday post for last year. Tonight the family came over. We celebrated with dinner, cake, and ice cream :)

This was my first attempt at a 'pound cake', get it?? ;) Dal loves dogs so I was excited to try it. I got the recipe from the book my cousin got me for Christmas. Thanks Andrea!


The Top 5 Things About Dal:
1. He is who he wants to be, through and through. He won't compromise that for anyone. He doesn't concern himself with people's opinion of him. He only cares about how he feels about himself.
2. He's a thinker. He questions everything. Most people go through life believing whatever they feel are trusting sources tell them. Not this guy. He listens to and thinks about different views, then ultimately figures things out on his own.
3. He's very informed. He absorbs information like a sponge. He spends a lot of his time reading and listening to everything from politics to random things he finds interesting. Ask him any question, he'll probably know the answer.
4. He will kindly tell you how it is. Sometimes the truth is hard to accept, but if you want to know it, he'll tell you. I know I can trust him to give it to me straight, no sugar coating. We all need a friend like that.
5. He's sweet. When he was in first grade, my mom was volunteering in his class. It was Valentine's day so she had been there helping with the class party. She brought Holl and I along, as were just little ones at the time. When it was time to go home, I said I wanted to walk with Ashlee and our cousin Natasha, who were both in third grade. Dal said he wanted to drive home with Holl and my mom. So as they started driving off, Ash, Tasha, and I started walking. I became a bit scared and anxious from all the kids running past me. Dal had been watching me from the car window as they drove away, got a really concerned look on his face, and said, "I need to walk with Karinne!" So my mom pulled over, he got out, grabbed my hand, and we walked home together. Sweet huh? Although now it seems he doesn't show his emotions very much, that sweet kid is still in there, and I see him come out in little ways all the time. His kindness is subtle. He doesn't want or expect recognition for the kindness he gives. That's when you know the kindness is real.


Happy Birthday Dal! Love you Brutha :)

2 comments: