Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Whitney's and My Wonderful Adventure

My dear friend Whitney and I went out on a quest last month; a quest to see the great outdoors, and John Mayer himself :) Whitney had some sweet concert tickets and invited me to join her, sweet little lady :) It was a blast! We spent the first 2 days in Yosemite. Neither one of us had been there before so we were stoked! It was a place I'd always wanted to visit.

Day one started with this nice hike that let to a little river. It was so relaxing; the weather was perfect, people were fishing, kids were playing in the water, just a delightful place to be on a summer day :)

Love that greeeeen.

 Didn't want to leave...

Loved these little pine cones :)

We ate some lunch at a viewpoint. It was gorgeous. These granite mountains & cliffs were incredible.
Then we hiked some more!

 One of my faves <3
 *happy*

 ...sunshine...

Can you spot the falls? :)

Unfortunately the water levels were low this year, so the falls weren't as big. But! Because they were so low, we were able to take epic pictures on rocks closer to the falls:
 Cute Whitney! She's a gem.

This is my 'Price is Right' pose.
You just won a waterfall!

 The view back.

 Just being
 tree huggers ;)

 Check out that squirrel guy soakin in the view... so cute.

Day 2 was a lovely :)
In spring, water from the falls, cover all those rocks, and apparently you can feel the mist from it too. Maybe one day I'll pay Yosemite another visit :)

 These trees!

So tall & gorgeous.

We did a harder hike, it turned our legs to jelly, thank you switchbacks ;)
 But it was totally worth it, they always are.

 <3

 Steeeeeeeep.

My camera isn't tilted.... crazy trees growing on that mountain, huh?

 Half Dome

Maybe I'll hike that crazy thing one day.

We made it!

 Prime picture spot.

Later that night we decided to be adventurous... We really wanted to see the redwoods, so as evening was coming in, we drove an hour down to the southern part of the park to see them. We were speed hiking to try and beat the dark!

 They are huge! Up to 30 feet across!! 

 Beauties aren't they?

 Felt like a dream, or somethin in a fairy tale.

 Tunnel tree! We walked under it.

Soooo giannnt!!

Sunset :)

<3

 Not going to lie, we were spooked! We were in the middle of the forest and the sun was almost gone... We started freaking ourselves out. Luckily Whitney being the prepared gal she is, brought a head lamp :) On our way back, we ran into a little family who had no light at all! We followed them back to the trailhead. We're pretty sure we were destined to be there. That family would have been totally lost in the forest all night if we didn't have our light and found them. There were multiple times they started walking off the trail even with our light. But the thing is, we needed them too. We were freaking out, then once we found them, our nerves went waaaay down. Funny how things work :)

Day 3 we drove to Sacramento! And by 'we', I mean Whitney. She drove, in the crazy, construction zoned, California traffic. All I had to do was sit and play DJ. She drove like a champ! You rock Whit :)

We spent the day at Old Sacramento, such a cute little place! It had so many shops and places to eat, mmmm.

We tried some taffy. Ever have the pumpkin pie flavor? It's wonderful.

 And we had some ice cream...

 It was delicious!

Then we were off to the concert! 
We saw Philip Philips (the boy with one name, but two.) He really was such a stud.

 We were so excited for John!!!

Whit got a cute shirt :)

 I got a bandana. John also wears bandanas, so basically, I'm his wife.

 He was sooooooooooo great. He really is such a good artist. Skills man, skills.

I wasn't much of a John fan a couple months ago... I thought he was a womanizer, a jerk, rude, ya know, all that jazz... Plus he broke Taylor's heart, and I'll always have her back (don't worry Tay). But Whitney showed me some of his music, and as I really listened to it, I think he's misunderstood, or at least, he's grown up now. He knows he's made mistakes and said and done stupid things. So many of his lyrics are about him being stupid, but learning from it, growing, and becoming better. And really people, isn't that what life is?

If that isn't an admittance to stupidity, I don't know what is. We've all been young and unwise.

Isn't that great? :)

He performs with some serious passion. I felt like I saw his soul. He thanked the crowd soooo many times for coming and singing along. I think that shows humility. I've been to concerts where the artist doesn't seem grateful at all, and there is a distinct difference in the feeling of the show. I think John is dream. His lyrics are so truthful. He gives me chills.

Whitney has a serious crush on him. She knows every song, every album, everything about the man. It was so fun to see how excited she was to see him. At the start of every song she'd turn to me and say, "I love this one!" It was so adorable. Know those times where it's more fun to watch other people have fun, then to be having that fun yourself? I was so happy she got to have her dream come true of seeing him in concert.

I loved hanging with Whitney for the week. She is such a good person, at her core. She's the friendliest little lady I know! On the trails in Yosemite, she'd ask people where they were from, what they were doing, all that jazz. It was so great. We met people from England, Ireland, Mexico, all over the place! (It helped me remember how lucky I am that I drove 10 hours to see those things, instead of flying across the world to do so.) Whitney is so kind to everyone. She's a gem. It was nice getting to know each other better. I swear the whole car ride there we kept saying, "Really? Me too!" We have lots in common :)

 Thanks Whitney for a wonderful tip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment