Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

How Do You Use Your Words?

In my psychology class we were discussing how there is only one reason human beings dominate the earth;

language is that reason.

That's it. That's the only reason we have dominion over other creatures.

And that got me thinking...

Words are very powerful things. How am I using mine?

I've been trying very hard to speak only kind words about people. Yes, I slip sometimes. I get frustrated. I get bugged. However, I recognize those instances & try harder from that moment on.

The longer I live, the more I realize how hard life can be. Becoming an adult makes older people, who once sheltered me from the sadness of life, much more open about it. I've learned some heartbreaking things about people I've known and loved for years & years. Even after spending so much time with, knowing, and loving certain people, I never knew their hardest battles. 

I've found, people who really, really struggle, are not quick to share. They often go to great lengths to hide their pain. They often cry behind closed doors. They often feel like their problems are nothing compared to the world's. They are the humble, selfless ones.

Learning about people's battles has often brought me to tears. It has often made me reflect on how I could have been nicer to them; I could have done more, I could have been more, for them.

This has taught me to be kind, always. People struggle enough. They don't need someone speaking unkind things about them, behind their back or to their face; both cause damage.

Be kind.


Don't hesitate about giving a compliment, holding the door open, asking how a person's day went, or giving a hug. Often times when someone has given me a hug or a smile, I didn't realize how much I needed it.


Sometimes, kindness is not an easy thing...

Rude people used to hurt me. I'd cry at work when a customer would yell at me over something so ridiculous. I'd get upset when someone would say something unkind about me, and find it so very easy to shoot a dart back at them. 

Lately, this has changed. It seems once I have things together & I'm so very happy, life throws me a challenge (Bring it on).

People have tried to bring me down lately; call me names, raise their voice, insult me and not own up to it, all in attempts to hurt me, to scare me, and to bring me lower. But guess what?

I'm not scared.
I'm not hurt, because I know those words are not true.
I will not be brought down.

Initially, I was mad.
I could almost feel the steam coming out of my ears & shaking in my bones. 
I wanted to scream back so loudly, so many hurtful things. 
I wanted to pierce their heart just like they had done mine.

But I didn't stoop to their level.
I bit my tongue so hard, I thought it would bleed.

Know why? Because..

(Eric is so right on this one.)

People who are strong do not bring others down;
Strong people don't ever make others feel weak.
Rude people need hugs.
They don't need a retaliation of rudeness thrown back at them. 
They need more sunshine in their lives; they're lost, insecure, & scared. 
To protect their vulnerable hearts, they try to make others scared too. That way, they don't feel inferior simply by a confident presence.

So bite that tongue. I promise as soon as insulting words leave your lips, you'll wish you could reel them back in. As hard as it can be to hold in what you're wanting to say, hold it. With time, you'll be grateful you did.


The facts are; 
I am a strong woman.
I am confident in myself and things I do. 
I love the way I live.
I love who I am and who I am becoming.

This is not boasting.
Loving yourself and what you do should be a part of everyone's mindset & heart.
If it's not, then what are we doing?

Love yourself, and it's easier to love others. Even those who are difficult to love.

Be strong, be kind.
You never know who you are inspiring.
Your kindness will impact the name callers.
Maybe not today, or even a year from now, but it will.

Remember, you are a champion.

6 comments:

  1. I love this, and really needed to be reminded of it today. Thanks Karinne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karinne, You are amazing! I can't wait to read your books ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Talisha ! Haha you're so sweet, one day that'll happen :)

      Delete
  3. Perfect ! I really needed this post! I have been stuck in such a nasty rut that I compleatly have forgotten about everyone around me... Your a good blogger! Thanks girl ( virtual hug)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Missy thank you so much! You're such a doll & the cutest mother ever!- seriously, I'm in love with your blog & instagram.

      Delete